The Right time for an orthodontic check-up
Certain orthodontic problems such as those displayed below may benefit from an early orthodontic check-up. Your orthodontist will undertake a complete evaluation and advise you on what to do.
Other orthodontic problems that may benefit from an early orthodontic check-up:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty in chewing or biting
- Teeth that are slow to erupt
- Mouth breathing
- Facial imbalance
- Biting the cheek or roof of the mouth
- Oral habits (eg. thumb sucking)
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
The ideal age at which to see an Orthodontist is around 8 years old .
- An early check-up with an orthodontist will often reveal that everything is developing normally. However, if there is an underlying problem, frequently it can go unnoticed. An orthodontic check-up will identify the problem before it becomes more severe.
- Often all that is needed is close monitoring of growth and development to assess the ideal time for treatment. For many patients, it is best to wait until further growth has occurred or more permanent teeth have erupted in the mouth.
- In some cases the orthodontist will recommend early treatment to prevent a problem from occurring or to limit the extent of a developing problem, making future treatment easier and shorter.
- Some indications for early treatment may involve:
- Correction of a habit (eg.thumb sucking)
- Limiting dental trauma from a deep-bite or protruding teeth
- Guidance of the lower jaw
- Improve the position of teeth for improved dental function and aesthetics
- Widen the upper jaw to help the face grow symmetrically
- Treatment to help teeth erupt into the correct position in the mouth
If you have any concerns about your child’s dental or facial development, please contact our office for complimentary consultation.